Friday, January 23, 2015

make-over #2 for a little washstand plus a little more .....

I've been ambivalent about writing posts lately, ever since my blog ran away with me helpless on its back. Didn't feel like getting on that horse again. Some of you may have seen it - suddenly Blogger posted all my drafts. There they were, half thoughts, typos and bad ideas, posted for the world to see. It happened as I was trying to figure out how to change labels and delete some of them. Well, whoops already. It got away from me. Blogger couldn't have made it more convoluted if they tried.

I lost hours of work. I was bitter. I was eyeballing Facebook with new regard.

But here I am, back because I can't hold a grudge. Plus I want to show my childs washstand in its newest revamping.


I was searching through Graphics Fairy, looking for an image for a totally different project, when I came across this one. I was pondering how I could use it when I looked up and saw the little washstand across the room, and thought AHA.


Now the washstand has a bit of European flare.


This is one of the prettiest images I've seen on Graphics Fairy.

I took the oval from the original image and used it for the drawer.

 The graphics aren't this bright in real-life, The image of the single door panel, above, is the best representation. Now I am wrestling with whether or not I should put something in the side panels.


I'll give it another day then I'll decide about the side panels. After that, it's for sale. As always, I wish I had space for it, it's always been one of my favorites.

UPDATE    UPDATE    UPDATE

I knew I'd do it. I couldn't stand looking at those blank panels. But before I did anything I did some research on Swedish antiques and French antiques to make sure the side panels were painted. They were so I did.



I think the decorated side panels add a lot to the piece. Not to mention, I feel better about it.


 The side image is from the 'landscape' catagory on Graphics Fairy.


 I decoupaged the images onto the cabinet and rubbed a little too hard here. I hardly ever decoupage so I thought one boo-booed panel out of 7 was pretty good.

After my fix: It's not perfect but it's better. I should have thought to fix it before I put the top coats on. Oh well, next time. My quick fix when I rub part of an image off is to fill it in with colored pencils. It works a lot better if you aren't trying to color slippery top coat! LOL

NOW, it's for sale.

7 comments:

  1. The washstand is darling, and I like the choices you have made.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this! This may be a silly question but have never done a color transfer, only the B&W ones....any difference in the process?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think there is a difference in the process. Well, except making mistakes with B&W is cheaper than with color. LOL. Ink is SO spendy.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for responding. Reading the update I see that you decoupaged the sides. I am a decoupage-ing whiz so off to peruse teh offerings at GF. Thanks again for your time and your lovely inspiration!

      Delete
  3. That is one of the most adorable pieces of furniture I have ever seen!

    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it. Very adorable and great job.

    ReplyDelete