Monday, May 12, 2014

Such a pretty tower!

Thank goodness for friends looking out for me! A girlfriend texted me about an estate sale she passed on her way to work and as I was close, I turned around and checked it out. Lucky, lucky me!

I bought this pedestal/tower/podium thing and did the happy dance all the way home.

I put a coat of American Paint Co. Home Plate white on it and stood back to admire...... and kick myself because I didn't think to take before pictures. So you'll have to imagine it as dark brown. Plain dark brown. Dark, dark, dark.


Over the Home Plate I layered a wash of Annie Sloan French Linen. To make the details pop I layered more French Linen, wiping off the excess as I went.




It's such a pretty piece and even though it's as heavy as all get out, I keep thinking of it as delicate. Because of that I decided to forgo the dark wax and only did a clear wax finish.


 Just because I wanted to, I did a checkerboard on each side. At the top you can see how loosely I did the wash. I didn't want a painted look, I wanted aged so precision didn't enter the the picture.
 


I painted over the original pulls and gave them a splash of wash.


It's a functional, pretty thing! Bonus!


 More details





I love the Bombay shape of the bottom. And I love the little feet.


Toe nails!



I'm keeping this one. For a while at least! LOL! I know where it's going to go, I just don't know where the piece of furniture now occupying that space is going to go.




Sharing with:
nifty-thrifty-sunday
knick of time interiors
make-it-pretty-monday
furniture-feature-friday
diy show off
coastal charm
funky junk interiors
be different act normal
its overflowing

14 comments:

  1. i continue to pray for you. love the tower







    1

    ReplyDelete
  2. This piece is amazing! The drawer at the bottom was a bit of a surprise. I just assumed it was a hollow base. How old do you think it is?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it pretty? Don't tell anyone but I don't even think its wood! I think it's plaster or whatever. As for age, I'd say 10 years tops. It's just a pretty thing for a corner in the bedroom.

      Delete
  3. That friend deserves a hug and kiss for sure...if it were me, I would have bought it and SHOWED it to you, so good thing I don't live near, huh?:-)
    You are so correct, health is something we take for granted until it is gone. You do amazing things when you are able, you shouldn't pressure yourself. If you ever need a project, send email, "kicks in the butt" to me, asking me why I don't start painting like some of my blog idols?
    You take care, sending good vibes and prayers your way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooooo, I LOVE sending kick-in-the-butt emails! Careful what you wish for.

      Delete
  4. LOVE the tower!
    Envious of your limitless creativity.
    Admire and in awe of your strength.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw shucks. You make me blush! Seriously though, no one knows their own strength until faced with something monumental. I never wanted to know my own strength. I didn't raise my hand or anything.

      Delete
  5. Great patina on the tower. A family member who "battled" cancer said one thing of many she did not like was being "the girl bravely fighting cancer". I am sure you are tired of all the platitudes, but let me say I have been following your posts and I am glad you have an outlet like painting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is gorgeous!

    Gigi @ Old World Patina

    ReplyDelete
  7. So beautiful - I love the checker boarding too. What a great piece. Hide what you do not want burglars to find in that drawer! You inspire your readers!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love it! Thank you for sharing. You will be one of the features tomorrow at the Make it Pretty Monday party at The Dedicated House. Hope to see your prettiness again tomorrow at the bash! Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my goodness! I am in love! This is just so pretty and could go anywhere! What a gift you have for the beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great piece, Daena! Love how it turned out ~ from the color to the checkerboard on the sides.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely! You made it sing. :)

    ReplyDelete