Friday, June 21, 2013

Oh, this old thing .... had it forever ... found it in a barn after a fire

I painted this kitchen stool while Mr. Bad Rabbit was gone for a couple days. When he got home he was amazed that it was freshly painted. That, my friends, is the wonder of Milk Paint.


You can have a smooth finish or a primitive finish. Or both.

I didn't use the MMS Hemp Oil or the Bonding Agent on either of these projects. With experience you can tell by the finish on the piece of furniture how the paint will react.

That nasty finish on 80's honey oak furniture will repel even Bonding Agent so expect to sand the bejeezuz out of those things. Early on, I had the paint peel off in strips and learned an expensive lesson. Luckily, most 80's honey oak furniture is too unattractive to even consider painting so it's not an issue.

This stool had that nasty finish at one time, but most of it had long been rubbed off. I knew I would have good adhesion over most of the stool but chippy-crackly in spots. It was what I wanted so I went for it.

I started with one coat of Luckett's Green, then added random blotches of Mustard Seed Yellow, Flow Blue and Kitchen Scale. Then I did a wash of Luckett's Green over the entire piece.

I left it alone overnight and in the morning I had cracks, chips and smooth areas, exactly as I'd hoped. I did a really, really light sanding with 220 grit sandpaper and then put on a thin layer of clear wax.

 Here you can see yellow and blue peeking through.

Lastly, I applied the Antiquing Wax. The AMAZING Antiquing Wax. It is so unbelievably awesome! I pushed it into the crevises with a tiny stiff brush and wiped off the excess. Perfection. I couldn't be happier.

I left the dark wax a little heavy in corners where dirt would naturally build up.

The two faces of Miss Mustard Seed Milk Paint.


Linking to:
miss mustard seed
finding fabulous
its overflowing
too-much-time
the dedicated house


No comments:

Post a Comment